I don't get this AMA announcement...

Any motorcycle-related topics other than hillclimb go in here.
Motoman
The Mack Daddy
The Mack Daddy

I don't get this AMA announcement...

Post#1 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:29 am

Dec. 8, 2010

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Phone: (614) 856-1900, ext. 1280
E-mail: jholter@ama-cycle.org

American Motorcyclist Association announces 2010 AMA Motorcyclist of the Year

The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) announced today its AMA Motorcyclist of the Year. Awarded annually, the AMA Motorcyclist of the Year designation recognizes the person(s) who has had the most profound impact on the world of motorcycling, for better or worse, in the previous 12 months.

For 2010, that distinction belongs to outgoing California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, whose signature on a controversial law will have far-reaching and potentially harmful effects on the motorcycling community nationwide.

With no fanfare, Schwarzenegger signed a poorly crafted bill on Sept. 28 that fundamentally changes how California will regulate motorcycle exhaust systems. The new law also maps a path for the rest of the country, as other state and local lawmakers look for their own answers to address excessive motorcycle sound. The full story is in the January 2011 issue of American Motorcyclist magazine, the journal of the AMA.

"Gov. Schwarzenegger signed a piece of legislation that has rocked the motorcycling world, and will impact motorcyclists in other states as well for years to come," said AMA President and CEO Rob Dingman. "This makes him the logical choice for the 2010 AMA Motorcyclist of the Year."

The legislation, California Senate Bill 435, the Motorcycle Anti-Tampering Act, requires every new motorcycle or aftermarket exhaust system built starting in 2013 to carry a stamp on the exhaust certifying that it meets federal Environmental Protection Agency sound requirements. For most motorcycles, the law is a de-facto OEM (original equipment manufacturer) exhaust mandate because the federal standard was not designed for aftermarket manufacturers, and compliance for the scores of low-volume production models now on the market is extremely problematic.

The AMA has long advocated reasonable measures be adopted for the regulation of excessive motorcycle sound, and cites the Society of Automotive Engineers J2825 motorcycle sound testing procedure as the most fair, economical and practical solution to the problem vexing communities nationwide.

"The California law is a poorly crafted piece of legislation that's discriminatory and does little to address the core problem of excessive sound from all sources, not just motorcycles," Dingman said. "Rather than objectively regulate offensive noise, this law creates all sorts of problems for riders, law enforcement and aftermarket manufacturers."

An EPA certification label is no guarantee of sound compliance, and the lack of a label is no guarantee that an exhaust is too loud. The only way to know if a motorcycle exhaust is compliant is to test its actual sound output, Dingman noted.

"As a motorcyclist, Gov. Schwarzenegger should have known better," Dingman said. "Now California's motorcyclists, as well as key segments of our industry, are going to be negatively impacted."

Currently, only two aftermarket manufacturers offer EPA-sound-stamped exhaust systems for a handful of late-model Harley-Davidsons. The process of certification is complex and expensive. For the millions of owners whose motorcycle models were made in relatively small numbers, the requirement to replace an aging exhaust system with an expensive OEM system is onerous and discriminatory. Owners of automobiles and trucks don't have to meet the same standard, and they can buy less expensive replacement exhaust systems at local muffler shops.

Schwarzenegger's selection as AMA Motorcyclist of the Year was reinforced by California's position as a role model for the rest of the country.

"In many cases, we've seen other states follow California's legislative lead on a number of issues," Dingman said. "There's no reason to think that trend won't continue with respect to S.B. 435. With the stroke of his pen, Gov. Schwarzenegger significantly altered the motorcycling landscape for motorcyclists everywhere, and this is the reason why his selection as AMA Motorcyclist of the Year is so impactful."

The full story of Schwarzenegger's involvement with motorcycling goes beyond S.B. 435, and is detailed in the January issue of American Motorcyclist. Schwarzenegger has, during his tenure, been an ally of motorcycling with key appointments to decision-making committees that deal with off-highway riding issues, as an example. In addition, as a known motorcyclist himself, Schwarzenegger has drawn attention to motorcycling and, after a high-profile crash in 2006, the need for proper motorcycle licensing.

"We will continue to work with municipal governments and state legislatures to implement reasonable measures, such as the SAE J2825 standard, to address excessive motorcycle sound," said Dingman. "But we now have the added burden of showing how California's new measure is not an effective solution, and we have Gov. Schwarzenegger to thank for that."

About the American Motorcyclist Association

Since 1924, the AMA has protected the future of motorcycling and promoted the motorcycle lifestyle. AMA members come from all walks of life, and they navigate many different routes on their journey to the same destination: freedom on two wheels. As the world's largest motorcycling rights organization, the AMA advocates for motorcyclists' interests in the halls of local, state and federal government, the committees of international governing organizations, and the court of public opinion. Through member clubs, promoters and partners, the AMA sanctions more motorsports competition and motorcycle recreational events than any other organization in the world. AMA members receive money-saving discounts from dozens of well-known suppliers of motorcycle services, gear and apparel, bike rental, transport, hotel stays and more. Through its support of the Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum, the AMA preserves the heritage of motorcycling for future generations. For more information, please visit AmericanMotorcyclist.com.

American Motorcyclist Association | 13515 Yarmouth Dr. | Pickerington | OH | 43147

...Ahnold is the Motorcyclist of the Year because he signed legislation that will kill the aftermarket exhaust industry? The article itself can't even seem to make up it's on mind whether the Governator is a hero or a villain for signing that piece of paper. Seriously...it's like 2 different people wrote different parts of that article...

:?:

bob baker
Baron of the Hill
Baron of the Hill

Re: I don't get this AMA announcement...

Post#2 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:10 pm

WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA :(

Bigend
Baron of the Hill
Baron of the Hill

Post#3 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:24 pm

sound levels of motorcycles too high??

I used to live on the edge of a small town (right at the city limits) where the speed limit was reduced from 65mph to 45mph. I've got to tell ya, the semi trucks jake brakes are way louder, and anoying coming INTO town, than any drag piped harley going OUT of town could ever think about being.

planetarysuicide
Duke of the Hill
Duke of the Hill

Post#4 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:44 pm

[/quote]

...Ahnold is the Motorcyclist of the Year because he signed legislation that will kill the aftermarket exhaust industry? The article itself can't even seem to make up it's on mind whether the Governator is a hero or a villain for signing that piece of paper. Seriously...it's like 2 different people wrote different parts of that article...

:?:[/quote]

they are only bashing him. they say in the beggining they nominate either the best or the worst.... this year arnold just happened to top all the best by being the absolute worst thing to happen to the motorcycle industry. agreed... welcome to kalifornia where the govenor doesnt need an M1 to crash his bike
mabe brown can fix up the state :roll:
NAHA#60
02 stock CRF 450, 01 altered CR500 w/ NOS, 02 CBR954 open bike, 98 34' 5th wheel toy hauler, 02 chevy 2500HD 8.1L, 05 GSXR 600, 04 chevy colorado, 05 CRF 250x........ i need a bigger Garage!

locogato11283
Duke of the Hill
Duke of the Hill

Post#5 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:18 pm

Once again, the AMA is a JOKE.

Wake up people.

kreativespeed
Duke of the Hill
Duke of the Hill

Post#6 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:31 pm

locogato11283 wrote:Once again, the AMA is a JOKE.

Wake up people.

the ama is actually doing something good here...pay attention.
Ricky "The Rocket" Hopkins.
2012 AMA Pro Hillclimb Series Mechanic of the Year
Head Mechanic, Team MTF / Nuzzolilli Racing

locogato11283
Duke of the Hill
Duke of the Hill

Post#7 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:34 pm

Looks like just a bunch of political nonsense to me. Why else would they have chosen Arnold for the 2010 Motorcyclist of the year?

Also, I thought this was pretty funny...

In addition, as a known motorcyclist himself, Schwarzenegger has drawn attention to motorcycling and, after a high-profile crash in 2006, the need for proper motorcycle licensing.

As if proper motorcycle licensing had anything to do with his crash.

For 2010, that distinction belongs to outgoing California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, whose signature on a controversial law will have far-reaching and potentially harmful effects on the motorcycling community nationwide.

So, let's get this straight. Arnold signs a bill that negatively impacts riders across the nation. AMA names him 2010 Motorcyclist of the Year. Now the AMA has to work double hard to help change what Arnold screwed up? Does any of this make sense? Sounds like the AMA has political motives.

kreativespeed
Duke of the Hill
Duke of the Hill

Post#8 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:47 pm

I give up...
Ricky "The Rocket" Hopkins.
2012 AMA Pro Hillclimb Series Mechanic of the Year
Head Mechanic, Team MTF / Nuzzolilli Racing

planetarysuicide
Duke of the Hill
Duke of the Hill

Post#9 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:49 pm

THE AMA IS BASHING HIM!!!!!!! they nominated him as the motorcyclist of the year because he had the largest impact on motorcycling. be it a negative effect, it was the largest.
he didnt have his M1 license (californias motorcycle license) when he crashed his bike. they are pointing out that the guy is an idiot and has done nothing but negativley impacted the motorcycliing comunity. he also "borrowed" millions from the CA OHV fund.
NAHA#60
02 stock CRF 450, 01 altered CR500 w/ NOS, 02 CBR954 open bike, 98 34' 5th wheel toy hauler, 02 chevy 2500HD 8.1L, 05 GSXR 600, 04 chevy colorado, 05 CRF 250x........ i need a bigger Garage!

locogato11283
Duke of the Hill
Duke of the Hill

Post#10 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:19 pm

planetarysuicide wrote:THE AMA IS BASHING HIM!!!!!!! they nominated him as the motorcyclist of the year because he had the largest impact on motorcycling. be it a negative effect, it was the largest.
he didnt have his M1 license (californias motorcycle license) when he crashed his bike. they are pointing out that the guy is an idiot and has done nothing but negativley impacted the motorcycliing comunity. he also "borrowed" millions from the CA OHV fund.

I understand that they are bashing him. What I do not understand is how the AMA is going to use this nomination for a negative figure to help out the rest of the motorcycle community. I am sure that the people who care about this already knew Arnold was an idiot. For the people that don't care it will seem like some sort of political stunt. I am just curious if drawing more negative attention to an already negative situation is the answer.

airhammer87
Baron of the Hill
Baron of the Hill

Post#11 » Thu May 16, 2013 10:35 pm

I dont think it will ever come down to stamping pipes and all the other nonsense. They have too many illegals, drug traffikers and other larger issues to worry about. Arnold is a douchebag that thinks rules dont apply to him but i dont think he will impact the entire motorcycle noise laws in other states. I would move somewhere else if i lived in cali lol. I think the AMA has more motives than what meets the eye eon this issue. I think whatever motive(s) they have are in our best interest.

Return to “Other Motorcycle Topics”